Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Butter!

This will sound completely bonkers but, apparently, if you take regular cream and whip it like mad, past the point of soft peaks, beyond stiff peaks, past where little curds begin to separate, and a little bit further than that, you get...butter.

I know! It was quite a sight to see. SG and I have always had a problem because our home delivery dairy doesn't have unsalted butter. I'm a bit of a butter nazi when it comes to unsalted butter. Since I mostly bake with it, there ... must ... not ... be ... salt. So I've been stuck buying crappy grocery store butter and suffering in "silence".

They, SG finds a blog post describing how to make butter from whipping cream. I can't believe nobody ever thought of this before! What a revelation. Imagine how much happier the cows will be.

And the butter tastes just like cream! Amazing!

I can't wait for breakfast.

ps.  That stuff in the jar?  Butter milk!  For making pancakes!

3 comments:

Adam said...

Last year when I was on sabbatical (wistful sigh) I spent a day in the kindergarten class. Guess which activity I was assigned? Yup, 5-year-olds shaking jars of milk until it turned to butter. Then we spread it on crackers. They thought it was delicious.

-S. said...

You tried it! And it worked! Awesome!

I'm so sad I'm not there! Maybe I'll go out to the store this afternoon and buy some whipping cream and try it myself, just for fun! I can shake it in an empty green chile jar---I have a bazillion of those.

DELETE said...

I heard salted butter has a longer shelf life IE it's not fresh.. I am going to try this!
My Friend makes her own Goats milk Chevre from Raw goats milk she buys out in the county. Best cheese I ever had. I think she'd be interested in this post

XXX Chele