Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Assessment

This morning I had planned on visiting with my old graduate school advisor for one more time before I left.  He is dying of cancer, and I figured it was probably my last time to see him.

Earlier, his wife called to tell me that he isn't feeling well and needed to cancel the visit.  She went on to say that he really enjoyed our last visit, and left me with the impression there would likely be no opportunity to reschedule.

Which means our last visit was probably our last.  I hope that isn't the case, but I suppose in reality that is always a possibility, with anything and everything.

With that in mind, since I am leaving Seattle the day after tomorrow, I thought I would make a list of my accomplishments and lessons learned while here, both personal and professional.  Since this could very well be the last time I ever come here, I am pleased that I seemed to have made the most of it.  In no particular order, and cognizant that I am missing some things:

  • Met with VPL colleagues and outlined a research agenda.
  • Spent over an hour visiting with my graduate advisor in his Lake Washington home, probably for the last time.
  • Spent time with T. kayaking around Lake Union and Lake Washington
  • Visited with C&T (and little D!) many, but not enough, times.
  • Vacationed with S. at the Mother Earth News fair.
  • Had lunch at the Crab Pot with S.
  • Took a rowboat out on Lake Union.
  • Walked to Pike Place Market nearly every day, sometimes twice per day.
  • Walked a lot (to UW, back from UW, to Pike Place, waterfront, etc).  Conservatively, I've clocked at least 60 miles since I've been here.
  • Took a ferry ride.  Might take another one.
  • Saw Wendell Berry at Benaroya Hall.
  • Had Pizza Lunch with UW folks, and caught up with some old friends.
  • Went to the Experience Music Project twice (once alone and another time with my sister).
  • Hung out all day at the Folk Life Festival.
  • Ate at the Sound View Cafe (twice!).
  • Visited Pioneer Square and the International District with S.
  • Got a massage (twice!).
  • Ate mini-donuts (more than twice!).

Lessons Learned:

  1. I've been reminded of the benefits and liabilities of working at a research university.
  2. After seeing the level of activism in the city regarding lifestyle changes and the focus on the environment, I am encouraged about the direction we're heading.
  3. After living with a perpetually sore neck and jaw (stress), I have learned the value of a good massage.  I'm also learning how to take better care of myself.
  4. Given access to plentiful good food and relatively cheap beer and cocktails, I tend to indulge too much in both (erp).  Looking forward to more work back on the farm!
  5. I've been deeply reminded of how much Utah is my home, and that I have developed a very strong sense of place there.
  6. I've learned how lucky I am to have the neighbors we have.
  7. I've learned how lucky I am to have the colleagues I have.
  8. Finally, I've become keenly aware of how important our move the farm has been.  I am looking forward to getting back and getting busy.
So, that's the list for the first month of sabbatical in Seattle.  Not too bad, and since sabbatical officially starts on July 1, I'm already ahead of the game.

On Thursday, I'm off to Saint Louis for the Council on Undergraduate Research Business Meeting and then back home.  And then the real work begins.


No comments: