Saturday, October 11, 2008

All quiet on the home front

A light frost killed off the squash and pumpkin plants last night.  The peppers and tomatoes are brown and drooping.  The cukes are starting to get a freeze-thaw line visible when you cut them open.  The drizzle is broken only by a few bold but rare snow flakes.  And I still don't have the coop insulated.

But the radishes!  They seem to relish the cold air, their green stalks bright, upright, exclaiming "Winter?  Bring it!"

Speaking of Bring It, I noticed at the IFA that Ariat (the dressage and show jumping boot maker) has diversified into cowboy boots.  Their ads, showing a handsome, buff, nearly shirtless cowboy, says simply "Ariat.  Bring It."  Made me laugh so hard that one of the sales women asked me if I was ok.  Those would be pretty effective ads for all the women buying dressage boots, too!

I tried to explain it to her, but I don't think she understood.  Oh well, I am sure they get crazy "city slicker" types in there all the time.  There is probably some store code for the customer who only buys 10 feet of chicken wire and one bale of straw hay.  I can hear the boys in the back now: "Looks like city boy's got himself a couple a chickens".  Sigh.

I usually don't mind sticking out in these situations.  Still, I made sure no one was looking when I check my iPhone for text messages on the way out.

No comments: