Saturday, October 4, 2008

Letters to the editor

A snippet from today's Standard Examiner Letters to the Editor:

"Are we finally ready for a smart president?" - To summarize: are you going to pick two educated individuals, one of whom graduated at the top of his Harvard class, or two other "folks", one who graduated 894th out of 899 at the Naval Academy, and another who attended six colleges in five years before earning her degree? I have to agree with the author on this one. I am tired of a "C's get degrees" president.

And this is coming from a university professor who attended four colleges in 13 years before getting his terminal degree. But I don't want someone like me for president. My president should be *better* than me.

Out of four political letters in the Standard today, four are either for Obama/Democrats or against McCain/Republicans. Wow. In Utah. Another Utah.

I have the silly fantasy that Utah goes for Obama this year. It's crazy talk. But consider: in 2004, Bush took Utah with 71.5% of the popular vote. Considering Utah's nearly fanatical approval ratings for this president, that's a pretty poor showing. Given McCain's standing among conservatives (as well as the fact that he is not Mitt Romney) I wouldn't be surprised if McCain squeaked out a win in Utah with only 65% of the popular vote.

That's a close call here in the flyover.

2 comments:

-S. said...

Hooray! how fun! we can blog back and forth!

Read Obama's book. He's way smarter than us. I have learned a ton about our political system. Even things I already knew (and remembered!) make a lot more sense. And I'm much more hopeful about things looking like such a mess at the moment!

jcaastro said...

He seems to be pulling ahead. Keep your fingers crossed!