Saturday, October 4, 2008

Winter is coming...

...and may already be here in the "Top O' Utah".

This is another otherness of another Utah. Winter comes early in the top part of Utah. This area, north of Salt Lake, is neither long enough (e.g. Oklahoma) or grand enough (e.g. Texas) to be called a "Pan Handle". It's too blocky to be called a "mitten" or a "thumb" as one might do in Michigan. For a while I thought about calling it the "Top Hat" of Utah, but the locals have already settled on the "Top of Utah". Like "Top O' the Utah" to ya!

Today, I can watch winter roll out to meet us. Out the back bay window I don't see what I know to be Mt. Ogden. I do see the flaming tips of the box elders on Strong's Peak, as Fall sneaks down to the lower elevations. The chickens huddle in a heap in the corner of the coop. Cassie is the "winter pup", hair shaggy and long after her summer shave. The garden yellowing despite the water and the grass greening again because of it.

Today, if I can tear myself away from the approach of winter, I plan to mow the grass hay that grows behind the back fence.

No comments: